Sunday, December 12, 2010

Book: Conspiracy 365: February

Conspiracy 365: February
Gabrielle Lord, 2010

After I read the first Conspiracy 365 book (reviewed here), it was inevitable I would have to move on to the next one. After all, the first one left on a cliff hanger (which I fear will be a constant through the 12 books). Also, I promised my students I would.

Just a fair warning - obviously it'll be hard not to spoil little plot points from previous books. I'm trying not to give any more away than is on the back cover. However, if you're really spoiler phobic, I recommend going and reading the books themselves.

So, Cal's year of horror is continuing, as he escapes from the sump oil well (ugh) of January and launches into February. We soon meet a new friend (or is she?) in the floaty girl, Winter. Meanwhile, Cal's best friend Boges is still managing to be indispensable, despite the fact that school is returning.

These books definitely reside on the other side of reality. Cal, Boges and Winter are all Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu ish - able to leap tall buildings with a single bound (or break in to houses, zoos and other places where they shouldn't be). The events can be rather unrealistic too. Yet the build and release of suspense seems to work in this case, along with the 'how on earth can it get worse for Cal' wondering. (This book includes flooded drains, a lion and a battle with a train).

I think this book series would go well with other adventure types, including CHERUB, Percy Jackson and the Alex Rider series.


Big Book List

No comments:

Post a Comment