Thursday, December 16, 2010

Book: Of Thee I Sing: A Letter to My Daughters

Of Thee I Sing: A Letter to My Daughters
Barack Obama, Loren Long (Ills), 2010

This is an absolutely lovely book that I know I'll probably read through again and again and again. It's a very simple premise - the President writes a letter to his daughters. Throughout it, Barack Obama weaves in an introduction to some of the great people and achievements of the United States - including academics, artists, sportspeople, explorers and leaders. But the absolute winner here is the art - the main pictures, the ones that accompany each persons' story are stunning to begin with. Then on the side we have an image of the two girls, which grows each time as a 'child version' of the important American joins them.

I know my students tend to be very interested in American presidents, but particularly interested in their children, so this book would immediately appeal to them. It would also be an excellent book to get students thinking about positive traits and achievement. I'd love students to think about what an Australian equivelant might be.

Connecting wise I would connect this with First Kids and Amelia to Zora.

Big Book List

No comments:

Post a Comment