Saturday, December 11, 2010

Book: The Defense of Thaddeus A Ledbetter

The Defense of Thaddeus A Ledbetter
John Gosselink, 2010

I have a bit of a soft spot for smart kids who are all kinds of smart but don't always 'get' people. Probably because I was a bit like that myself. And I tend to teach a lot of kids like that. So it was inevitable that I would like Thaddeus A Ledbetter.

Thaddeus is in a bit of trouble. Actually, he's in a lot of trouble, serving a solitary in-school suspension for the rest of the school year. While he's there, he decides to make his case. Through his defense notes, notes his principal makes, emails to his uncle and letters from friends (snuck in by the lunch lady) we learn more about Thaddeus and why he does what he does.

This book reminded me a lot of books like the Betrayal of Bindy Mackenzie, A View from Saturday and Loving Richard Feynman - all full of sweet, smart kids who don't really understand the world around them - mostly because it just doesn't seem to make sense. I'm really looking forward to putting it into students' hands next year.

Big Book List 

No comments:

Post a Comment