Thursday, December 23, 2010

Book: Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Ugly Truth

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Ugly Truth
Jeff Kinney, 2010

Greg heads back to school, except this time he's without his best friend Rowley after a serious falling out. Now he's dealing with the pressures of growing up, boy/girl parties, the strangeness of family and a housekeeper who refuses to work - and he's all on his own.

Despite their popularity this was the first Wimpy Kid book I've read. These books have usually been owned by students in my class and passed around that way, so I've never needed to buy them for the classroom. But with the main fans heading off to high school, I realise I'll need to fill that gap.

This was a highly enjoyable read - one I didn't want to put down. Greg is an engaging narrator, and you can easily understand his embarrassments and annoyances - even if you aren't a wimpy kid yourself. My only quibble is that this book was 'Australianised' - Greg is in High School, not middle school and some of the language has been changed. It does a real disservice to Australian kids who have been watching US shows and reading US books for years and understand that this is an American book (a movie kind of keys you in to that) - especially when a really Australian word (like lollies) pops up and throws you out of the text.

I'd connect this book with Totally Joe and The Misfits, Dork Diaries (which seems to be enjoyed by both girls and boys), Amelia Rules and Mail Order Ninja.


Big Book List

No comments:

Post a Comment