Monday, December 13, 2010

Book: Jacob Have I Loved

Jacob Have I Loved
Katherine Paterson, 1980

Hmm. I know this is a much loved book, written by an author who I enjoy very much. But although it wasn't a bad read, it wasn't a 'stick with you for ages afterwards' read. This might have something to do with the other books I read on the same day, but I just don't feel like it had the emotional punches I was expecting.

The title takes its name from the rivalry between twins. Louise is the elder, and in her mind at least, the least liked twin. Caroline is prettier and more talented and knows how to talk to people. Together with their parents and their increasingly abrasive grandmother, they live on a tiny Chesapeake island called Rass. The book is primarily set during the early 1940s, but other than the boys heading off to war, and a few shortages, there are much more important things in Louise's life than the second world war.

The writing itself is beautiful, you get a really good understanding of the area, leading me to connect it with Cynthia Voigt's Tillerman books, even though they're set at completely different times. But I started to get a little annoyed with the self-centered-ness of Louise. I almost wanted to shake her and tell her to get over herself. When she finally began to move forward in her life was when I started to like her more - unfortunately, that was probably the shortest part of the book.

An enjoyable read, but not as good as Terebithia or Gilly Hopkins.

Big Book List  

No comments:

Post a Comment